Studio vs Location Photo Shoots
One of your major decisions when planning your session is the location of your photo shoot.
The first question I ask in an initial consultation is going to be whether the shoot should happen in the studio or on location. Your answer is going to depend on your personal preference. What do you like best? A white studio look or an environmental feel of a particular setting?
Here are some determining factors to consider…
- How many people are going to be in the shoot? Keep in mind that larger groups are hard to photograph in the studio due to space restrictions.
- What is the time of year for your booking?
- What is your style preference for your photograph. What is the look you are going for?
There are some benefits to a photography session in a studio. They include…
- A studio provides a controlled environment with backdrops and full studio lighting.
- There is no need to worry about the weather and can be shot all year round.
- A studio session is good for small children since an outdoor setting can require monitoring and protection of the child from outdoor elements such as roads or open water, etc.
Conversely, the benefits of an outdoor location are the following…
- There is plenty of natural light which can mean faster shooting since there is little movement of lighting equipment.
- There are a variety of choices for outdoor locations from an Okanagan beach to a park setting, rural farms or urban downtown streets. Each setting will create a unique backdrop to suit your individualism.
- Shooting outdoors can be great for large groups.
There is a lot to be taken into consideration when choosing your location and I can help you determine what will work best. Call now for your no obligation consultation!